905-527-2775
cccham@on.aibn.com
Commissionaires Hamilton

About Us

Our mandate is to contribute to the security and well-being of Canadians

Service above self, loyalty, integrity and devotion to duty. Our cornerstones for over 90 years.

We are Canada’s premier security company, safeguarding the people and property of the communities we call home with honesty and a steadfast commitment to the highest principles of service. We were created in 1925 to provide meaningful, skilled employment for veterans. Today, we are a not-for-profit organization that is 20,000 strong from coast to coast to coast, employing former members of the Canadian Forces, RCMP and principled civilians to protect and serve both institutions and individuals.

The Commissionaires History

Original Corps

The original Corps of Commissionaires including founder Captain Edward Walter – far left

The Corps of Commissionaires was established in Canada in 1925, when branches were formed in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto.

The Canadian Corps of Commissionaires is now represented in every province – fifteen divisions employ more than 20,000 men and women. National Office is located in Ottawa and provides policy direction to all Divisions.

A long and proud history of service

Captain Edward Walter, a retired officer of the Crimean War, founded The Corps of Commissionaires in England in 1859 to help veterans make the difficult transition back to civilian life and employment.

In an effort to find jobs for these veterans, he convinced friends and acquaintances that the exemplary discipline, loyalty and dedication to service that veterans possessed could be put to excellent use in business. He succeeded in finding jobs for seven veterans and thereby launched The Corps of Commissionaires. By 1860, the Corps had grown to 89 members and was attracting favourable public attention. The Corps continued to grow through the years, and today enjoys a well-deserved reputation for service and efficiency.

Commissionaires Button

Canadian Corps of Commissionaires Button from a P49 Greatcoat

The Hamilton Division commenced operations in April 1937 and now employs over 350 Commissionaires in 14 different municipalities in a wide variety of positions.

During the Second World War, Hamilton had 40 to 50 men employed as Commissionaires. These men consisted of First World War Veterans and demobilized members of the Veterans’ Guard of Canada. In 1946, a letter from the Board Chairman was widely circulated to prospective employers. The results were rewarding and an office was opened downtown in Hamilton’s historic Lister Building. In May 1982 larger quarters were required and the division moved to the Imperial Building, another of Hamilton’s historic addresses. Following a fire and explosion in March 1997 the Division relocated to Burlington where it remained headquartered until April 2004. This date marked the return of the Hamilton Division to the place of its birth and ended some geographical confusion. Today the Division employs over 350 Commissionaires in 14 different municipalities in a wide variety of positions. The Hamilton Division was recognized by the local business community by being awarded the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Award in 2007.

A continuous commitment to high standards

Harper

Former Prime Minister Stephen Harper with WO Merryweather and Cmre Ranjit Gill

Quality Assurance

Our reputation for excellence and quality service gives us a status few security services providers can match. This is not only because we recruit primarily from the military and RCMP but because we have an on-going commitment to training and certification.

We are registered with BSI, North America’s leading management system registrar, offering registration to ISO and industry specific standards.

Each and every Commissionaire office across Canada is certified to International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards ISO 9001:2008 and is audited annually to ensure these standards are maintained. Commissionaires Hamilton has been ISO registered and certified since 1999. This certification is your assurance about the quality, safety and reliability of our services.

The International Organization for Standardization is a network of national standards institutes from 147 countries working in partnership with international organizations, governments, industry, business and consumer representatives. They serve as a bridge between public and private sectors to assure clients about the conformity, quality, safety and reliability of our services.

Some of our clients

Redeemer University College BMO Hamilton University of Guelph RCMP Google

Inquiries

For a no-obligation discussion of your security needs, whether you’re an individual, organization or business, please fill out the form below or contact the Director of Operations at 905-527-2775 Ext. 23.